Thursday, June 16, 2011

First ASD and Epilepsy Seminar

The first (to my knowledge) Seminar specifically for families with children dealing with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Epilepsy will be held next Thursday, June 23rd at the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center Rm. 241.
Dr. Gregory Barnes will be presenting.  He is the Director of the Pediatric Epilepsy Monitoring Unit and Assistant Professor of Neurology and Pediatrics at Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt.  Dr. Barnes was our Caleb's Neurologist, and helped us in providing the best possible care for him.  He is continually looking for ways to help these children in his research and in his clinic. 

Dr. Barnes is graciously giving me time to present about Resources that could be helpful to this special population of children and their families.  In gathering the information, I discovered two things.  One: There are very few resources out there that encompass both ASD and Epilepsy.  Two: It is important for me to share my experiences with other families, and if I can empower parents to feel more able to care for their children - then, it's a win/win. 

If you know someone who has a child with ASD who has Epilepsy, or suspected seizures, please share with them this information. You can register to attend by calling ASMT at 615-385-2077, or registering online at their website: http://tnautism.org/  I am hopeful that many will be able to step away for a moment from the overwhelming day that I'm sure they've had, and learn more about how to help their children and find people that will help them.  It's all about building a team, and I am so glad to be able to share what I learned from our precious Caleb....Team Caleb is still strong!

Blessings,

Beth

2 comments:

  1. Beth, good to hear u present tonight. I'm also a blogger and author. Ur invited to join Nashville Women Who Blog on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete